OK… my darling baby has just gone down for what is meant to be her second nap of the day (who am I kidding?) which means we have approximately 12.36 minutes to get this post out! I’ve painted red stripes down each of my arms because apparently that makes you go faster.
In my last post about Greening Your Cleaning (see it here) I mentioned that I hadn’t found a good clothes washing solution yet. Well HUZZAH! I have for the past week been using a different blend and it has been awesome. I do some pretty heavy duty washing – I am using cloth nappies only! – and they come out as clean as ever. Best yet this is such a sensitive mix which is perfect for the soft little bum that is going to be wearing the garments.
What You Need
- 1 bar (50 – 80g) vegetable-based soap (AKA Castile Soap)
- 1 cup Washing Soda (could be substituted with bicarb soda)
- 1 cup Borax
- Optional: 10 – 20 drops Essential Oil
- Chop your soap into smaller chunks and put into blender
- Add borax, washing soda and essential oil (if you are using it) and blend into a fine powder.
- I used 10 drops of tea tree oil and 5 drops of lavender oil for anti-fungal, anti-viral properties… as well as just a nice bit of smell!
- Store in sterile jar. For an upcycled scoop you could use an old milk lid, or save one from your old laundry powder (which you will no longer need ever again!)
See I wasn’t lying… SO EASY. Use 1 tablespoon in a full wash load.